On Site CHP/DOT Inspections
Periodic vehicle inspections (Section 34505.5 CVC)
Carriers must ensure each regulated vehicle is inspected at least every 90 days, or more often if necessary to ensure safe operation. Vehicle inspections must be documented and retained for at least two years. At a minimum, the following items must be inspected:
- Brake adjustment.
- Brake system components and leaks.
- Steering and suspension systems.
- Tires and wheels.
- Vehicle connecting devices.
At a minimum, each periodic inspection report must include:
- Identification of the vehicle, including make, model, license number, company vehicle number, or other means of positive identification.
- Date and nature of each inspection and any repair performed.
- Signature of the motor carrier’s authorized representative attesting to the inspection and to the completion of all required repairs.